Monday, June 13, 2011

The last week of school

This is the first year I get to see both of my children meet the end of the school year. For Jennifer, it's the end of third grade. For Jesse, it's the end of his first year in preschool. They will be moving on to the next grade and the next year come Fall semester. I am so proud of them both.

Somehow, I think, my children sense that it's high time for school to end. (I have heard that other schools have already released students for summer vacation.) Jennifer has gone into Night Owl Mode -- which is understandable since the days are longer and warmer. Getting up for school in the morning, however, is a big chore. But so far, so good.

As for Jesse, he, too, is ready for some R&R. He will be going to preschool this summer, but not as often as before. I think he'll have some vacation time before the summer semester begins. Overall, though, he's ready to just lounge around at home and get some extra sleep. Can't say that I blame him.

I, too, am ready for another school year to come to an end. It has been a hard year for us in consistently getting Jennifer to school on time, her struggling with her math and failing to meet the requirements to be a TAG (Talented And Gifted) student. (That last part left her crushed.) But we are hopeful things will be better for her next year. She has also complained about being bullied at her school. Thus far, the bullying has not been severe, but I have been keeping tabs on it.

I am also looking forward to getting some extra sleep, too. Time to unleash my inner night owl! No more waking up at 5 a.m. for a couple of months.

Still, it is as though summer vacation has happened already. The kids just want to chill. Get some sleep. I have to keep telling the children "this is the last week of school, let's finish it." They sooo want summer vacation to start up already. And it will, but they just have to wait a teensy tiny bit longer before it does. Just three more days to go and then they'll be free.

No comments: