Monday, March 01, 2010

Being grateful

I am currently reading the book Awakening Joy by James Baraz and Shoshana Alexander, which I will be posting a review of soon. In a recent chapter, the author shared how his wife has a daily ritual. At day's end, she and a friend e-mail each other 5 things that they are grateful for from their day. Even if they had a particularly bad day, and even when life throws a curve ball (as it did for this woman's friend, who was later diagnosed with breast cancer), they kept up this ritual, still finding five things they were grateful for.

I think this is a great idea! I am always one to try to get something good out of something bad. To still try and see something positive. And to write down 5 things we are grateful for, every day, is a great way to help us stay positive despite the troubles in life and try to stay optimistic.

And so, I am going to list 5 things I am grateful for from today here on my blog. I just might start doing this offline.

1. I am grateful my hip pain was not bad this morning, especially since I knocked over a bag of apples at the grocery store and had to keep bending over to pick all those apples up. (Oops.) I am sooo glad I didn't have to deal with that pain this morning!

2. I am most definitely grateful for my dog, Chewbacca ("Chewie"). It was his 16th birthday today. That's pretty old! I was scared he wouldn't make it to his birthday. But he seems to be so strong and so vibrant. I know there are some people whose dogs are no longer here to celebrate their birthdays. And I felt sad for them. So I was especially grateful that my dog got to have another birthday, even if it ends up being his last.

3. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to take a nap today. Thank you, God. I am still sleeping just fine at night now -- no insomnia or constantly waking up through the night -- but unfortunately just not getting enough of that sleep. So busy.

4. I am grateful for friendly people. Even if some people I know are not my friends, just a person I see at the store or something, I am grateful when they act friendly and kind.

5. I am grateful that I was able to buy such a pretty journal today and that it was not expensive (under $10). I look forward to writing in it and keeping a journal. I am horrible at keeping a daily log (as you can tell by looking at the frequency I post on my blogs!) but I will try to write in that journal whenever possible. It will be nice to keep a journal again. I haven't journalled for a long time and I don't think you are ever too old to keep a journal. If nothing else, it is something to leave behind for my children. I am grateful for that, too.

No comments: