Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Today's "To Do"

The other day, I posted on my dA journal how I wasn't going to put stuff off anymore. I DID keep putting stuff off...saving it for "later" when I had more time, more money, more freedom, etc. But then I'd realized stuff kept getting put off TOO much. And things just didn't get DONE.

I have an online friend (courtesy of dA) who mentioned her "to do" lists in her reply to that journal. She has a daily "to do" list of things to get done. I've chatted with her often and she would mention her list every so often. I used to keep a "to do" list. When I first started living on my own, it was the only way we could survive! And the only way for me to make sense of all this confusion and chaos of being responsible for EVERYTHING. But then....after a while, I stopped making those lists. I got a handle on things and just didn't need 'em.

But it would seem that, lately, those lists are a VERY GOOD THING to have, even when life isn't so crazy or confusing.

So, I started using a daily "to do" list again. My first go at reinstating the list was very encouraging. I got 12 of the 13 items on that list done. Two of them were "almost done." (The store I went to to get my daughter new eyepatches didn't have them and I could not teach my child how to tie a shoe on the first go but we DID have a satisfactory "first day" on that.) But, still, it was very encouraging and after the day was through, I felt it had been a productive one.

This morning I put together today's "to do" list. After I put down everything I could think of to get done or started on today, I counted the items. Guess what? Once again, I had 13 things to do! Thirteen!

Now, I'm not superstitious. (Oh, I say that, and I NEVER step over a broom. Or take the broom with me when I move. Or walk under a ladder...) But that bugged me. It did. Thirteen things AGAIN?? Hmm.

Nah, I don't want that. Why jinx this kinda thing? I want 14 things today! Let's see what else I have to get done!

... .... ..... ......

Nothing.

I thought and thought. What REALLY needs to get done around here? I already organized my bedroom closet. Cleared off the dresser. Got Jennifer to clean her room. My back hurts too much today for me to rake up the yards. And there's NO WAY I'll have the time to work on a drawing I've had in my head for several months. I mean, yesterday, I couldn't even find the time to write an essay! (So of course it got moved to TODAY'S list.)

So, I went over my list. This is what I have so far:

TO DO 2/6/07

Give Chewie a bath

Log in at dA

Contact SIGNews about Joleen's address

Write essay (on living alone as a deaf parent)

Work w/Jen on her tying shoes

Call Mom

Find gift for #### on Internet (####,too) --It's a SURPRISE!

Check out more flight deals for trip to CA

Get Jennifer new eyepatches

See Jimmy about this week's schedule

Check Jennifer's dr. appt date and time (I lost her appointment card -- OF COURSE!!)

Start on E-zine for tomorrow release

Work on cover letter for poetry book submission


So, yeah. That's 13 things. I wanted a 14th! I couldn't put "check E-mail" or "give Jen her bath" because those are things I do every day. That stuff is automatic, ya know? LOL

I got online and I mentioned this to a friend. She thought it was funny. Then she said, "OK 14th....Say something nice each day. There ya go." I noted it should be "today" instead of "each day." Her idea sounded like one of those "daily resolutions" I make to myself. (And there's one for today! Yay!)

But as I tried to log in at this Web site and I kept having a hard time with it, an idea struck for my 14th item: "Blow up computer."

Haha, just kidding. :)

Nah, my 14th ended up being "Write in the blog." There.

No comments: